Why study the theology of worship? Why is a biblical understanding and foundation of worship important?
1. God’s Word tells us who God is.
God is the subject of our worship.
Worship is about Him.
We must worship Him as He really is.
2. God’s Word tells us what God wants.
GOD is the object of our worship.
Worship is for Him, for His pleasure.
We must worship Him as He wants to be worshiped.
3. God’s Word is our guide in every area of life
So certainly it is in this important area of worship.
“Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105)
4. God’s Word tells us that all of life is to be worship.
“. . . present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” (Romans 12:1)
So a biblical understanding of worship has ramifications for our entire lives.
5. God’s Word is our only unchanging standard.
“Forever, O Lord, Your Word is settled in heaven.”
Times change, people change, tastes change; only God’s Word does not.
6. Only God’s Word can give us a unified understanding of worship.
What are the essentials of worship, that do not change from denomination to denomination, place to place, age to age?
—Ron Man, teaching notes